Sunday, January 31, 2010

Basic French Toast


This has to be one of my ALLLL time favorite Breakfast items. I could eat it for just about any meal at least once a week and never tire of it. It's one of those dishes that you can do sooooooo much with and change it for your likings. You can make it sweet or savory, stuff it with things, top it with just about anything, and even just eat it plain (which is my personal favorite).

2 Eggs
3 slices of STALE bread (the stale is important ;))
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp heavy cream

Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat with just a small amount of butter (you can skip the butter if you have a nonstick surface).

In a large bowl you want to combine all of your ingredients except the bread. Using a whisk (or a stand mixer - my personal fav) whip all of your ingredients minus the bread of course. Whip it until it's combined well and foams just a little. This will make for a light fluffy mixture and make a better texture for the bread.

Now I typically transfer the egg mixture to a shallow tupperware container the size of a piece of bread. If you have a deep plate or small baking dish those will work as well. Now take your bread and lay it into the egg mixture. Give it about 5-10 seconds to soak up the egg mixture. Flip and repeat.

Transfer the bread to your warm griddle or frying pan. Now let it sit and cook without touching it for roughly 5 minutes. Now let me explain that using a medium heated surface allows the bread to really cook and keeps the middle from being soggy but it doesn't burn the outside surface. After letting the 1 side cook until it's golden brown flip to the other side and repeat. I use a skillet large enough to cook 3 pieces of bread at a time. But if you don't have one large enough then you can cook them 1 at a time.


Some things I like to use for my french toast are as follows:
Fruit compotes
my whipped topping recipe that's posted
nutella (put it between 2 slices SOOOOOO good)
Drizzled with hot fudge
cinnamon sugar
Bannanas (not a personal favorite cause I can't eat them but I hear it's good)
Fried Plantains

No comments:

Post a Comment