Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Marakesh style Vegetable Curry

So I was originally going to start this tomorrow. But I figure I'll go ahead and post now. I'll probably only be posting every other day as I typically make enough for a couple of meals and actually eat the leftovers of my food. (Hey...somethings are just better the next day!)

So for dinner tonight I cooked this amazing new style of Indian Curry. Indian curry dishes are a weakness for me. I absolutely love Curry. The way it smells while it's cooking. The explosion of flavor and heat when you eat it. It's just simply amazing.

I decided to look up new recipes for curry's because I'm bored with my basic Vegetable Korma and Beef Curry. So I got to searching and found this excitingly different style of curry sauce called Marakesh. I made it completely Vegetarian friendly. You see my husband is all about proteins! I don't mind...I'll eat just about anything. I do however have this affair with vegetables. As much as I love a good juicy porkchop or savory chicken breast or even a glazed duck breast I just can't stop thinking about vegetables. How amazing they taste and how you can do just about anything with vegetables. So since my husband is away this week I am making vegetarian dishes. So this was LOADED with veggies!!

The vegetables consisted of corn, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, italian cut green beans, onions, and peppers. The sauce was what really made this. So my typical Korma curry sauce consists of a very small list. The basic ingredients in a yellow curry sauce. Coconut milk, turmeric, curry, cumin, chili powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. This Marakesh style curry sauce called for some new and what you may think are unusual spices. It had the typical bases. Added onto those were cinnamon, ginger, and carrot juice. Yes, you read that right. Carrot juice. Of course you just blend together the carrot juice and coconut milk and slowly warm it up. Add the spices into it and whisk it well. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Just long enough for the flavors to simmer and meld together. Then just pour it over steamed veggies that are lying on a bed of rice and you have HEAVEN on a plate!! Here's a basic recipe for it. It's not precise amounts as peoples tollerances for spice differ.

1 can coconut milk
1 cup carrot juice
1 tsp Ginger & Cinnamon
1 tbsp Chili powder & Cumin
2 tbsp Curry and Turmeric

Remember that the Curry and Chili powder can be increased or decreased as you see fit according to your levels of heat resistance. Mine comes out rather spicy so watch it if you are the faint at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment